Deadline: January 15, 2018
The Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate scholarship that covers tuition fees, a travel stipend for one round-trip journey between each Scholar’s base city and Beijing, accommodations, and living costs on Peking University’s campus. The Academy offers a residential program aimed at creating a community of enthusiastic, globally oriented young innovators in the heart of China’s top university. Such close proximity to the academic infrastructure of Peking University provides a unique opportunity to participate and fully immerse oneself in the life of the university.
Since its founding in 1898, Peking University has played a central role in China’s modern history. With its innovative, interdisciplinary curriculum and rigorously selected cohort of young scholars from around the world, the Yenching Academy is serving to enhance the educational excellence at Peking University.
- Enrolled international students spend 12 months in residence at the Yenching Academy, with the possibility to extend for a second year
- For students from China (including Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan), the program lasts 24 months
- Upon completion of their year in residence, students have up to one more year to finalize projects and defend their thesis
- During this period, students in good academic standing may apply for a limited number of Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistantships
- In addition, Dean’s Research Grants will be awarded on a bi-annual basis to help fund selected research projects related to China Studies.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of August 31 of the year they wish to enroll. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger
Eligible Regions: International, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Candidates.
Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);*
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;*
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1).**
*If official university documents are in languages other than English or Chinese, both copies of the original documents and certified English translations must be uploaded. This requirement includes diplomas issued in Latin.
** Native English speakers and students/alumni of primarily English-taught degree programs are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
More details about required documents are available through the admissions portal after creating an account.
International candidates and those from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan may begin applying August 15, 2017. There are two deadlines, associated with candidates’ universities:
- Dec. 11, 2017: Universities in the United States and Canada;
- Jan. 15, 2018: Universities in all other countries.
Note: All candidates should apply by the deadlines corresponding to their universities or alma maters. There may be rare exceptions; for example, an alumna of a U.S. university learns about our program after returning to her home country, and wishes to apply by the later deadline.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2018