Deadline: April 16, 2018
The Government of Mauritius is offering scholarships at undergraduate level to deserving African students for full-time, on-campus undergraduate programmes tenable in public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius. The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting tuition fees and contribute to their living expenses during their studies in Mauritius.
Further, the scholarship also covers a return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
- This scholarship provides for annual payment of tuition fees and other studies-related costs
- A monthly living allowance of MUR 8,300 will be paid to awardees as part support to meet their living expenses.
- Refund of the student airfare (economy class) by the most economical route to Mauritius at the start, and airfare to my home country upon successful completion of studies;
Scholarships will be renewable on a yearly basis, subject to successful completion of the previous year of study and subsequent enrolment into the following year.
Scholarships will NOT be awarded for:
- Top-up degree programmes;
- Postgraduate programmes;
- Foundation programmes;
- Part-time courses;
- Distance Education programmes;
- Mixed/blended modes (distance and on-campus learning); or
- Non-accredited courses.
List Of Public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and Deadlines
- University of Mauritius – Mid Feb 2018
- University of Technology, Mauritius – Mid June 2018
- Université des Mascareignes – End May 2018
- Fashion and Design Institute – March 2018
- Mauritius Institute of Education – April 2018
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute – Mid Feb 2018
- Rabindranath Tagore Institute – Mid Feb 2018
The Government of Mauritius is awarding scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries as per the following criteria:
- Applicants should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by the closing date of application.
- Applicants must have applied for a full-time on-campus programme at a public Tertiary Education Institution in Mauritius (listed in Section 8) for academic year starting in 2018. An applicant may either:
- obtain a conditional offer (letter of admission) from their chosen Mauritian public HEI and submit this along with the scholarship application: OR
- submit an acknowledgement notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid. Note: The application fee shall be refunded to successful applicants.
- The Scholarship will be for a maximum of four (4) years or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
Candidates should have successfully completed end-of-secondary schooling to be eligible and should satisfy the minimum grade requirements as indicated below:
- at least 23 points at GCE A-Level which will be computed on the basis of the following grades obtained in three Principal subjects: A+=10, A=9, B=8, C=7 & D=6; OR
- at least an overall average of 65% or an overall average of 13/20; OR
- qualification equivalent to (i) or (ii) above.
In case the language of instruction is not English in the qualifying examination, the candidate will have to provide a valid TOEFL test result with a minimum score of 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based) or valid IELTS test results with a minimum score of 5.5 or an acceptable proof of English Language proficiency
Application for the scholarship can only be made on the application form, duly filled-in. Section 5 of the application form should be endorsed and completed by the Nominating Agency in the country of citizenship of the applicant. Applications which are not made through the Nominating Agency of the respective countries will not be entertained.
Documents to be submitted to Nominating Agency
- Completed Application Form
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of biodata page of passport (if available)
- Certified copies of educational certificates
- Certified copies of transcripts
- Copy of letter of conditional offer by a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (if available at time of application) OR copy of acknowledgement notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid; and
- Medical certificate to be duly filled and signed by a registered Medical Practitioner in Section 6 of the Application Form. This should be appropriately stamped.
No direct application to the Mauritian Ministry of Education & Human Resources, Tertiary Education & Scientific Research will be entertained. The duly completed application form should be submitted through the Nominating Agency of the respective countries.
A list of Nominating Agencies can be found through the link provided below